The old Mamas and the Papas song basically says that sometimes Mondays are good and sometimes Mondays are bad. Today was a good Monday for me…I got a lot of sermon prep done today and this evening I’ll be shooting the video for this week’s message. All in all a good response yesterday to the new IMPACT series…I can’t wait to share the next part with you. Don’t forget…You’re Presence Matters!
Archives for May 2008
- Another great day!
- Again Happy Mother’s Day!
- 3 more people born into the Kingdom!
- From a technical standpoint, set-up and execution went very well…way to go team.
- I really liked the set of music we did today.
- Great energy in the room and we kept having to bring out more and more chairs in the back.
- The Mother’s Day countdown was a lot of fun. It was great hearing as it got closer and closer to zero and more and more people were paying attention to it, the laughter grow.
- I also loved how at the beginning of the sermon opener video after the Universal Studios logo, how everyone laughed when I appeared on the screen. Don’t know why I found it funny but I did.
- I was pleased with the message today, but got off track towards the end on a little bit of rabbit trail…it’s rare that I do that, but I was serious…people still go to hell during the summer time so we can’t relax too much.
- Man what a brain cramp there not being able to remember Marlin Zeis name…in any case, welcome home Marlin…thanks again for serving our country.
- And please remember Laban Betz each day in your prayers as he heads out to Iraq.
- At the guest reception I talked with a guy who told me how much he liked the Experience and that he really appreciated that I seemed like a real person. You know nothing could make me happier…I try to be as real as possible not only in who I am but also in what the bible says…great to hear that’s coming through to our guests.
- Also great to be able to briefly talk with Jeffery Mills the son our Senior Pastor who is home for 3 weeks from Sudan where he serves as a missionary for Samaritans Purse.
- Tonight is CAYA but first some food and a nap seem to be calling my name!
In Sunday’s message I said that we need to do the 1 or 2 things we do best at work and then delegate the rest to someone else. Today I learned that the one exception is when there is a fire…then it becomes your job.
We had some guests in the building earlier and they stopped by my office to ask me if it was normal for the mulch outside to be smoking. I’m not the smartest guy in the world but even I figured that was probably not a good thing. Sure enough right outside the main doors the mulch was smoking. I figured just a few stomps and we’d be good to go…uh no….it just made it worse in fact now it was on fire. I ran and got a bucket full of water, dumped it on it…and it got worse…flames were now visible. Another couple of buckets and it was out…but now I reek like smoke.
My theory is that after a funeral this morning, someone flicked a cigarette into the mulch and it burned down underneath…the bricks and block all around were incredibly hot so it had been burning for awhile. My disturbing the pile only provided more oxygen and it took full flame.
The lesson is this…it’s never a good idea to throw a lit cigarette into mulch. Even better…don’t smoke. Someone once asked me if smoking would send them to hell. I replied, “Probably not but you sure will smell like you’ve been there.” Speaking of smelling…think I’ll head home to shower and get the smell off of me…so much for a productive day.