I know I probably say this a lot, but I am super-excited about this week’s Experience. I truly believe that many relationships will be transformed and renovated as a result of the message. This would be a fantastic weekend to invite someone to come along with you…I guarantee they and you will not be disappointed. Also, please be praying for the Experience on the 25th. I’m working on trying to arrange something for that day that will be yet another can’t miss event.
Archives for November 2007
The other day I blogged about excellence and another thought occurred to me after reading someone else’s blog today. I have made a very intentional choice through the leading of the Spirit to make United very much a place where those who are seeking after God can come in and safely investigate the claims of Christ. Yes, the already convinced (re: Christians) are welcome and hopefully are growing, but I think of that first-timer coming in as we prepare all the elements of United each week.
So here’s another big reason we need to strive for excellence each week…if we were like most churches, then if people didn’t like us, they would walk out the door and find another church to attend. But for us, when people don’t like what we’re doing, they may be walking out the door and heading straight to hell. So they deserve nothing less than our very best effort each and every week. If you’re not already volunteering to serve to make their stay with us more enjoyable and hopefully life-changing, now is the time to start serving. Click here for just a few of the many ways you can serve at CFCOG.
I’m continually blown away by what God is doing in our midst. Do you realize that just a year ago Sunday I had only been with the church a few weeks and we only had 65 people in attendance at United? Yesterday we had 264! That’s 199 more…a 408% increase!
Now here’s the frustrating part. We’re growing faster than I can remember and learn people’s names. If I’m being truly honest, I’d bet that I couldn’t have given you the names of half the people that were in attendance yesterday. That’s very frustrating because I want to get to know people, but it’s just not possible to know everyone. However, I was reminded yesterday that not everyone needs to know Gilbert Thurston, but everyone does need to know Jesus Christ.
So I’m doing my part to make His name known…would you do me a favor? When you come in on Sunday’s, don’t spend all of your time with the people you already know. Find someone you don’t and introduce yourself…make them feel welcome…help them get connected in some way with the church. New people may come in for awhile because they like the Experience, but eventually they will stay because of relationships. If you’ll do your part, I promise to do mine…together we can make a difference!
- Wasn’t quite sure what to expect today…was last week just a novel thing with a new building or did we create a buzz?
- It appears we created a buzz. Our attendance was up over last week which is even more impressive considering that many were away for the all-church retreat.
- Joe went out with a bang…great worship set!
- 7 more people made a first time profession of faith today! That brings the total to 16 in our series so far!
- If you include our last week in the old building, that is now 21 professions in the last 3 weeks. As many of you know, one of my favorite scripture passages is Acts 2:42-47 which ends by saying “and the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.” So for at least the last 3 weeks, we’ve been fulfilling this verse!
- I met a very nice lady at the pastor’s reception afterwards who said, “Wow that didn’t seem like a church service…it felt more like an experience.” Guess you can say we lived up to our name!
- Lisa’s sister and her husband snuck in a little late and unexpectedly. It was cool seeing them at the Experience and then getting to have lunch with them and my nephews afterwards.
- Our entire First Impressions Team has been doing an incredible job…keep it up guys and gals.
- I hate technical problems, but even I can laugh at this one. After my prayer following the music, we were supposed to go direclty to the sermon opener video. There was a delay of about 7 seconds (seems like much longer when you’re just sitting there on the stage). I later found out that our operater missed the cue because he said he was so into what was happening that he couldn’t wait to see what was next…oops that was up to him.
- Wow, there are a lot of new faces! I think God is smiling today as we continue reaching out to our community.
- I’m excited that tonight I get to speak to our College and Young Adults ministry. They are pumped up about what God is doing and their enthusiasm is contagious.
Coming up on about 24 hours until our next Experience and I can’t wait! Please make sure, if you haven’t already, to invite someone to come with you. This message has the chance to radically impact people’s lives if they’ll just follow this One Simple Truth.
Remember our goal of 50 first time professions throughout this series. That will take a lot of guests, so don’t stop now with your inviting…calll someone today. See you tomorrow!