- Friday for the first time in a long time, I truly felt like it was a day off…wow that was refreshing.
- The only thing I did that was even close to being ministry related was go out to breakfast with a pastor friend of mine.
- Saturday too was pretty laid back…other than putting the finishing touches on the weekend’s message.
- Speaking of, I’m not sure I’ve ever had so many comments on a message…for whatever reason that one really hit home with a lot of people.
- I’m really excited about what God is doing in people’s lives right now and I believe that even better things are yet to come!
- God is personally stretching me right now as well which is really cool!
- Last night we went with Andy and Gayle to the Hershey Bears hockey game.
- The game was great for 4 reasons…
- We were in a suite so how can you beat leather seats, a TV to check out the football games and of course free catered food!
- We got to see an AHL record be broken when Alexander Giroux scored a goal in his 15th consecutive game. Any time your at a game and they have to stop it to do a special presentation, you know you just saw something pretty significant in the sporting world.
- Hershey won after being down 2-0.
- Can you say…Dippin’ Dots.
- Last night I finally got tagged on Facebook to do the 25 facts about you thing. Here’s the link if you’re interested. If the lonk doesn’t work let me know and I’ll re-post it on the blog.
- Today I’m studying and writing for the message on February 1st…it will be on taking risks and I can’t wait for you to chase even bigger lions!
- Speaking of big lions, I have a meeting tomorrow morning about a big lion the church is chasing that could impact us for many years down the road so please pray about that. Then in the afternoon, I’m going up to Harrisburg with Earl so we can help our denomination chase a huge lion.
- I’d be interested to hear what lions God is calling some of you to chase…let me know in the comments section.
Archives for January 2009
A few weeks back I preached a rather controversial message and came down hard on people for not making the switch to the 9:15 Experience so that people far from God could have the better timeslot at 10:45. To say the least, it has definitely got people talking.
My one regret was that I failed to mention that there are some legitimate reasons for not making the switch…like if you’re already teaching a class for the kids at that hour or if you’re a nurse at the hospital, or already getting up at 4am to milk the cows. Other than that, though I still feel strongly that sometimes we have to give up what we want/prefer in order to see God’s Kingdom advance.
Sure enough this past weekend, a lot of you made the switch to 9:15 (we had a record crowd), but here’s the funny part…10:45 was just as crowded as always. We had 70 more people at 9:15 than the previous week, but yet we only had 9 less people at 10:45 than the previous week. This is a pattern that we’ll continue to see…as long as seats free up at 10:45, then we’ll continue to grow and most importantly…help the 91,000 people in our community who are destined for hell, find the same love and forgiveness of Jesus that we have received.
So with all that said, I’m still asking more of you to make the switch, if you can. This time though let’s take a more humorous approach. So here are the top 10 reasons to switch to 9:!5:
10. The workers in the Cafe’ spike the coffee for the 9:15 crowd.
9. The bathrooms have only been lightly used.
8. You get to hear Gilbert say something crazy BEFORE Lisa makes him
change it for the 10:45 message.
7. Since another Experience is starting right after the 9:15, you know
you’re going to get out on time.
6. The 9:15 is presented to you in 3D. Ok, not really but since you may be
tired, it may seem that way.
5. 4 words for you….No Putting Away Chairs!
4. It’s a little less hazy first thing in the morning.
3. Your odds of sitting next to someone who smells goes down
expotentially. Unless it’s your husband that smells then you have to sit
next to him regardless of what time you come.
2. You get to beat the other churches in town to the lunch buffets.
1. YOU FREE UP A SEAT SO THAT SOMEONE FAR FROM GOD CAN HAVE
YOURS AT 10:45!!!
- What an exhausting yet exhilirating weekend.
- On Thurday Lisa’s brother J and his wife Faith came into town from NC.
- It was great having them with us for the weekend and then going to Lisa’s sisters on Saturday so we could all have Christmas together.
- Thursday night J and I decided at about 9PM to play BoomBlox on the Wii. Next thing you know it’s 1am.
- Because of the motion you ue to play the game, neither one of us could raise our right arms the next morning…in fact here it is Monday at noon and my arm still hurts.
- We switched to shooting pool on Friday night…man I was terrible he beat me everytime…and it’s my table…guess that tells you how much I get to play.
- Saturday morning I made one of my few visits to the hosptial to pray with a young lady who was told she was going to lose her baby…by the afternoon, eveyrthing was fine and it looks like she’ll carry it to full-term now…wow God is good!
- Also Saturday morning was our practice time for Sunday (which is normally on Thursday’s)…what should have been a 10-12 practice never wrapped up until after 1 and it was nearly 2 before I left to come home…but man the results yesterday where well worth it.
- Can’t get the song “Wonderful God” out of my head…not that I’m really trying though.
- Spent Saturday night at the in-laws celebrating Christmas and then last night at a friends house…once again proving that Lisa and I make wonderful guests! 🙂
- I’m right on track with my goal to read through all of the New Testament in January. I love when I do this because it helps put the Bible into such better context when you read all or most of the author’s original letter in one or two sittings.
- How about you…are you reading His Word everyday? As I said yesterday in the message…if you want to have a larger perspective of who God is and what He wants to do in your life, then reading His Word is critical.
- So out of curiosity…anyone want to share a lion you’re chasing? Comment below and we’ll pray for you!