Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Here are the 8 things I’m most thankful for here in 2008.
- Jesus. You might be saying, “Gilbert wasn’t Jesus #1 on your list last year?” Yes and He’ll continue to be #1 for the rest of my life. Every year I realize more and more how much greater He is and how far short I fall of His standard. Yet He still loves me and helps me to grow…what an awesome God.
- Lisa. Speaking of people who love me despite all my flaws. Lisa is my #1 fan and supports and loves me no matter what. She is to me an example of Jesus in the flesh…she serves, loves, cares and listens to me like no one else. To top it off she’s beautiful, sexy and smart…with just enough hint of blondness that she fell for me 15 years ago.
- Family support. I have an unbelievable family on not only my side, but also Lisa’s side as well. We are incredibly fortunate that everybody gets along, actually enjoys one another’s company and are there for each other through thick and thin.
- Grandparents. Up until 2 years ago, Lisa and I had 7 of our 8 grandparents still living. We’re down to 5 of 8 now after the passing of my grandmother towards the beginning of the year and Lisa’s grandfather is not doing well. However, all 7 were and continue to be an incredible influence on the two of us in numerous ways. I’m so thankful that I had/have all of them in my life.
- United. We continue to be used by God in big ways to reach hundreds of people. I’m thankful that everyday I wake up excited about what I get to do for a living and that I get to pastor some of the best people on the face of the planet. I’m thankful for the 100+ people who have come into a relationship with Jesus so far in 2008 and for the many letters and e-mails I get from people saying how much their lives are changing. YEA GOD!
- The Team. Whether it be staff or volunteers, I get to serve next to some of the hardest working, most dedicated, sold out to Jesus people in the world. I’m especially thankful to our worship team who volunteer countless hours to preparation, practice and performance. There are so many others of you that do so much behind the scenes stuff that it would be hard to list it all, but know that I’m grateful, the people we’re reaching are grateful, but most importantly God is pleased by your sacrifice of time and talents. Well done…and thank you from the bottom of my heart!
- Earl. Another great example of Jesus to me. With the rapid growth in United it would have been so easy for him to get jealous and try to hinder what God is doing in the multi-purpose room…but he has been anything but. In 2 years he has only said no to one of my crazy ideas once, has been a shield for a lot of criticism that comes my way and has wrapped his arms around me with love and grace when I’ve messed up. What an awesome guy to partner with in seeing CFCOG reach Franklin County and beyond…and oh yeah, he makes for a pretty good skydiving partner as well!
- Tie: House and Friends. Oops ran out of numbers. Oh well this is my blog so I can add another if I want. First, I’m thankful for the house in C’burg that God has provided for us. As I sit here typing this in my home office, I’m looking out the window at the mountains and can see the slopes of Whitetail Ski Resort. It’s a beautiful view and now having a commute that is only 12 minutes as compared to the 35 from before is awesome! Also, being a new house, it doesn’t require much maintenance which I have no clue how to do. Second, I’m thankful for friends like Andy & Gayle, Bill & Nicole and Aaron & Ashleigh who allow be to just be Gilbert, not “Pastor Gilbert”. I try to be as open and authentic as possible around all people, but these 6 have known me for many years…in the case of Andy & Gayle and Bill & Nicole, 15 years…with Aaron & Ashleigh coming up on 3. It’s great to have friends like that who have known you for so long and are with you through the highs and lows of life…truly we are better together.
Alright so there’s my list…what about you? Tell us the 1 or 2 things you are grateful for this year. Again Happy Thanksgiving, enjoy your day!